<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10607858\x26blogName\x3dWhen+I\x27m+Bored...\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://whenjasonisbored.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://whenjasonisbored.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7606163165358317914', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I'm Still Here

Does anybody still come here?  If so, I sincerely apologize for not posting since our son's birth over a month ago.  We've been extremely busy, as you might guess, and the blog has taken a back seat to many other things.  Since his birth, the baby has been in the hospital for 3 nights (more on that in a minute), we have completely moved to Bowling Green, and I am still adjusting to my new job. 
Our son is 6 weeks old now and is the cutest thing ever.  He is starting to smile, laugh, and he responds with cooing when you talk to him.  I mentioned that he was in the hospital earlier.  He has acid reflux really bad, and the reflux has damaged his airway.  Doctors say he has a "floppy airway".  It causes him to have sleep apnea, where his airway will shut off for a few seconds while he is sleeping, and then he gets choked and gasps for air.  He was in the childrens' hospital for three nights over Thanksgiving.  It was really scary to us before we took him to the doctor.  We all had to take shifts and stay up with him during the night.  We were afraid that he would not start breathing again once his airway closed.  They gave us an apnea monitor to hook him up to at night.  It will alarm if he has a bad apnea episode.  So this has allowed us to sleep much better.  I'm crossing my fingers, but I think that he is starting to get into a good sleeping routine, finally.  It was rough for the first few weeks.  Now, he eats around 9 or 10 pm, and will go to sleep soon after.  He wakes up around 4 or 5 to eat again, and then he goes right back to sleep.  Then he sleeps til 8 or 9, waking up to eat again.  His eating was very sporadic there for a while, eating from every 2 to 4 hours, and when he wasn't eating, he was crying.  It made for some rough nights.  But bless my wife though, because she lets me sleep through the week since I have to get up early for work.  I then sacrifice my sleep on weekends to help her out so that she can catch up on sleep then. 
We have finally moved!  It is so awesome to finally be back in Bowling Green full time.  We've been moved into the house for three weeks now.  Boxes are still stacked here and there, and we aren't even close to having everything put away yet.  It's been a slow process.  My wife is staying at home with the baby, but she hasn't been able to do as much as she wanted to, because he needs so much attention.  She has gotten other family members to come and babysit once or twice a week, which has given her time to put a few things away.  I am off for a few days over Christmas, so hopefully the two of us being at home will allow us to get the house in order. 
My new job has definitely gotten better than when I first started.  I would sit here for days at a time, twiddling my thumbs without anything to do.  The office here is divided up into several different departments, and the different departments are busy at different times of the month.  My department is busy during the first 2 weeks of each month, while other departments that we share data with, are busy during the rest of the month.  I started my job in the third week of a month, therefore leaving me with nothing to do for two weeks.  Then when it finally came time for me to train and learn my job, the baby was born and I was out for that.  So, I had to wait another month before finally learning each of my duties.  I have performed my duties on my own for one full month now, and I love it. 
Again, I apologize for not posting in so long.  My priorities have definitely changed since the baby has been born.  To give you an example, our computer is still sitting in a box.  Before he was born, I was on the computer every single day.  I guess if we had internet at the house, the computer would be unboxed and running, but we don't have internet.  And won't for a while. 
I'm sitting here trying to think of a funny story to tell about the learning experiences that come from a new baby, but am having a hard time coming up with something good.  There have been lots of funny times, and lots of times where I was ready to rip my hair out and stand on my head.  But the funny and cute times makes me forget about those nasty times (almost forget about them anyways). 
I guess I could talk about baby poop.  Pooping is always a funny conversation topic.  Especially when you're talking about babies.  Right now, his poop looks just like creamy caramel with sesame seeds scattered all throughout it.  I hear that this is perfectly normal, even though he doesn't eat caramel, and he definitely doesn't eat anything with sesame seeds on it.  And he is the gasiest baby I've ever seen.  When he farts, you hear it.  And when he poops, you almost have to cover your ears it is so loud.  He grunts and gets all red in the face and everything.  It's quite comical.  Until it's time to clean it up.  I almost got pooped on for the first time last night.  I try to change as many diapers as I can when I'm home with him, to give my wife a break.  I was holding him last night when he almost blew his diaper off from the force of some poop.  We've learned to wait a few minutes before changing a diaper, because it takes him a while to complete the process.  I waited several minutes last night before changing him.  I had his diaper off and had his bottom all cleaned up and was reaching for a new diaper.  Just then I heard a small puff of air come out of his butt.  I had just enough time to grab a new wipe and hold it in place to catch a little more poo.  It was gross, but all I could do was laugh.  I caught it all and he didn't make a mess, and it was only a little.  And you'll notice that I said "We've learned to wait..." earlier.  My wife has gotten pooped on more than once.  If I didn't have the warning fart, he would have surely pooped on me.  I won't even get started on how many times he's peed on us.  I think baby boys have fire hoses in their penises.  At least ours does.  It shoots halfway across the room. 
I'll go ahead and apologize now, but I can't promise a new post anytime soon.  Christmas time is here and we'll be driving all over the place to show the baby off to family.  I do promise to start posting more once we get internet at home.  But that might not be until January or February.  To those of you who keep coming back every day, you're probably starting to expect nothing new.  So I hope I've surprised you with something new today.  And thanks for the dedicated readership.
I hope you all have a Merry Christmas, and please remember the true and only reason why we celebrate this season. 


At 7:59 AM, Blogger chase said...

i still check in every now and then. i figured things were pretty crazy around your place with the new little one and all. but i am glad to see you back. Merry Christmas.

At 9:55 AM, Blogger The Grish said...

No need to apologize about infrequent posting - that's what RSS readers are for.

Congrats on the infinite number of moving parts of your life finally coming to something resembling rest. That initial period when the baby first comes home is a huge adjustment and can push you right to the brink, so pat yourself on the back for getting through it.

Thanks for the reminder about male anatomical diaper challenges - something else to look forward to this time around.

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Erica said...

glad to hear the lil guy is doing better! we're looking forward to welcoming ours in a couple weeks - it's good preparation to hear about exploding poops and fire hoses, so thanks! :)

hope you have/had a great christmas and a wonderful new year!

At 12:26 PM, Blogger galojay said...

Still here Jason... like jg, I use an RSS reader that lets me know you post.


Post a Comment

viewing right now